March 22, 2007

Feeling All Artsy Fartsy

I woke up with the sun blazing though my windows and even though it was still chilly outside, I was so happy to see that spring sun. I'm sure there's some scientific fact behind it- all I know is that it cheered me up after that blizzard from a week ago.
Being that I was in this awesome mood, I wanted to do something today that was purely selfish (a.k.a. not painting a wall with a roller). I once bought some Mod Podge and some canvases and stuff at my local Michael's and it sat in my closet forever. I grabbed that stash and got to work.

Seeing that my newly-painted living room is in need of some serious accessory changes, I figured re-purposing some of my old things would save me a ton of moolah.

Plus, I had a good helper.

Having no clue how this would turn out, I took an old, gold frame and Mod Podged torn up bits of brown kraft paper and red tissue paper in layers , to hopefully give it a mosaic effect.

The effect was cool, but I like a little age on stuff, so I took some black and brown paint and dry brushed to make it look old.



While that was drying, I did a painting for my bathroom. There is a little back story as to how this painting came about:

A couple weeks ago, I was in HomeGoods, and I fell in love with this painting of koi. I wanted it so badly for my bathroom. I flipped that sucker over, saw that it was $70 bucks, and dropped it like it was on fire.

Here is my attempt at a copy:


I used to paint as a kid, and it has been way too long. Seeing as I am now 30-ish, this is my first attempt in many years. I know from an art standpoint it's far from perfect, but it makes me happy. Hope ya like it, too. :)

3 comments:

Sage said...

Dang! Super Lea!

LOVE the koi painting.

: )

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are talented. The frame is very creative and I love the koi painting!

Erin D. said...

That frame is great! Good idea antiquing it!

Oh I Love Love Love the koi painting, you must paint more! :O)
It is so relaxing like a summer day!
Sparkles :O)